This Healthy Vanilla Cake is sugar-free, can be gluten-free and made without butter/oil! With only 8 ingredients, it is so soft, spongy and beautifully sweet that you wouldn’t be able to tell!
Can you believe we’re already nearing the end of November?! It seems like only 5 minutes ago that fireworks filled the sky and bonfires blazed on the 5th. Only a few days later, trumpets played ‘The Last Post’ and we all sported poppies to show our respect on Remembrance Day.
Yet here we are, just over a week away from December. And that means Christmas is on it’s way!!😄 I had hardly given it a thought until now, but I am quite aware that I still have plenty of Christmas shopping to do. Not only that, but we’ll be putting up our decorations this weekend!
Usually we would wait until the 1st of December before starting to drag bags of decorations out the attic, but as the 1st falls on a Thursday, it makes sense to begin the weekend before. That way, we can ensure that the whole house is decorated by the time December rolls around. Also, the official first day of advent begins this Sunday, the 27th!
However, there’s always bit of a lull towards the end of November. It’s the transition into the Christmas month, giving us a little time to breathe before we plunge into the festive season. To mark this, I thought today’s recipe should be plain and simple…but still scrumptious of course! And I’ve got plenty of Christmas treats in store for the coming weeks!
This here Healthy Vanilla Cake is easy peasy to make, perfectly sweet, with a soft and fluffy texture. Yet, it contains no sugar?!
Instead of sugar, this recipe uses vanilla crème stevia, and you’ll need just 1 teaspoon! Of course, if you don’t have liquid stevia, you can replace itwith 230 grams sugar of choice (ideally unrefined sugars such as muscovado or light brown, which are more nutritionally beneficial than caster sugar).
For the cake in these photos, I used normal self-raising flour, which gives the softest texture. A gluten-free self-raising blend or wholewheat self-raising flour will work too.
Happy Monday – sit down with a slice of this vanilla cake and relax while you can! Christmas is on its way…
This Healthy Vanilla Cake is sugar-free, can be gluten-free and made without butter/oil! With only 8 ingredients, it is so soft, spongy and beautifully sweet that you wouldn't be able to tell!
For the cake:
- •30 g butter (prevents cake from sticking to the baking pan)*
- •1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional; adds more depth of sweetness)
- •1 tsp vanilla creme liquid stevia (OR 230g LIGHT muscovado/brown sugar, or caster)**
- •90 g Greek yoghurt***
- •2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- •2 eggs
- •225 g self-raising flour****
- •1 tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
- •200g cream cheese (or, as I used, mascarpone)
- •45 g (3 tbsp) honey or maple syrup
- •2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160C fan, 350°F, gas 4) and grease an 8x8inch circular baking tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, Greek yoghurt, 1 tsp of vanilla creme stevia, optional 1 tbsp honey/maple syrup and 2 tsp vanilla bean paste together.
- Once fully combined, add the eggs and mix well.
- Fold in the flour, followed by the baking powder. Stir gently until just incorporated, with no lumps of flour remaining.
- Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin, and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. When the cake is ready, it will be slightly golden and spring back slightly when you touch the top. Remove from tin after 10 minutes, then eave on a wire rack for an hour to cool completely.
- Mix the frosting ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice in half horizontally with a bread knife.
- Using a palette knife, spread about 1/3 of the icing over the surface of one of the halves.
- Sandwich the other half on top, then spread the frosting over the top of the cake and round the sides, smoothing it with the palette knife.
- Slice and enjoy!
*Or another 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt if you don't want to use butter.
**I wouldn't recommend using a dark sugar as it will affect the colour & texture of the light, fluffy vanilla cake.
***Or a dairy-free alternative. An equal amount of butter will work also, if you aren't counting calories!
****Whole wheat self-raising or a gluten-free self-raising blend will work, but the cake won't be as soft)
Pin this recipe and follow me on Pinterest!