Make this scrumptious scone for one in under 5 minutes in the microwave! It is gluten free and contains no butter, oil or refined sugar!
If someone asked you “What is typically British?”, you’d probably say something like: “The Union Jack, the Queen, red buses & phone-boxes, rainy weather, fish & chips, black suits, bowler hats, and tea. Tea and scones.”
It’s true, us Brits do love our cream teas…
Perhaps a little too much…
The 4 of us were about to have scones for tea this afternoon, but there were only 3 left in the pack!
Well, what can you do? Make a single-serving scone in 3 minutes, in the microwave. Obviously.
Buckwheat flour is one of my favourite flours; it’s gluten free, and I find it produces similar results to conventional flour.
This scone is whipped up even quicker than the cream, so get the picnic blanket out and enjoy a delicious cream tea!
This scrumptious scone can be made in under 5 minutes in the microwave! It is gluten free and contains no butter, oil or refined sugar!
For the scone:
- •3 tbsp buckwheat flour *
- •2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- •1-2tsp milk **
- •2 tsp maple syrup or honey or any runny sweetener
- •1/4 tsp baking powder
To top the scone:
- •2 tsp jam ***
- •1-2 tbsp whipped cream
- Grease a small ramekin.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, yoghurt, syrup and milk together. The batter should be quite thick and gloopy (if too runny, add more flour). Stir in the baking powder gently.
- Transfer mixture to the small greased ramekin and smooth the top. Microwave on high power for 1 minute (cooking time may vary for different microwaves).
- Leave to cool for a minute, then pop out of ramekin. Slice in half horizontally, then top with jam and cream. Enjoy!
*You can use all-purpose or wholewheat flour if you don't need it to be gluten free
**Any dairy free milk will work
***I used a no-added-sugar strawberry jam
Here’s a debate for you… Do you put jam then cream, or cream and then jam? Then, do you prefer Devon scones or Cornish scones? I’d be interested to know! Leave your thoughts in the comments below…
Click here for more baking recipes!