These Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes are gluten-free, refined sugar free, made without butter or oil, and can be vegan!
Topped with a delicious vanilla buttercream frosting made without icing sugar or butter, enjoy these clean-eating chocolate cupcakes, guilt-free!
Imagine a spongy, soft, chocolatey cupcake…
Topped with smooth, thick, sweet vanilla frosting…
And chocolate sprinkles…
But of course, cupcakes are full of sugar, fat and other bad stuff. Your conscience tells you to forget it, because chocolate cupcakes are so unhealthy, right?
These chocolate cupcakes are:
- Vegan [sub flax eggs for normal eggs]
- Made with natural sugars only, with nutritional value – only 2 tsp per cupcake!
- No butter or oil
- Contain health-benefiting ingredients – coconut oil, nut butter, Greek yoghurt
So why not go and make these chocolate cupcakes right now? Go on, I dare you…
Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes (+ Healthy Vanilla Frosting!)
These Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes are gluten-free, refined sugar free, made without butter or oil, and can be vegan! Topped with a delicious vanilla buttercream frosting made without icing sugar or butter, enjoy these clean-eating chocolate cupcakes, guilt-free!
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C [350°F, gas mark 4, 160°C fan] and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yoghurt, sugar, maple syrup (or honey), coconut oil and nut butter.
- Add the eggs and and vanilla extract. Beat well.
- Sift in half the flour and half the cocoa powder, folding them into the mixture. Then add half the milk, before folding in the rest of the flour and cocoa powder. Finally, add the baking powder, stirring until just incorporated.
- Divide batter into cupcake cases (roughly 2 tbsp of mixture per case), then bake in oven at 180°C [350°F, gas mark 4, 160°C fan] for 15 - 20 minutes, when a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Store cupcakes in the fridge. They'll keep for up to 4 days. (I guarantee they will have been eaten up by then anyway!😉)
To make the vanilla frosting:
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the coconut cream, vanilla and chosen sweetener. Sift in the starch/flour, then stir.
- Place in the fridge for at least 20 mins, or in the freezer for 10 mins, to thicken. (It should be very thick after this - if not, add more starch or icing sugar. If you are happy with runnier icing, go ahead, but add more flour if you'd like it to be buttercream consistency.)
- Pipe the frosting over the cupcakes, top with sprinkles, then enjoy!
- Once the cakes have cooled, top them with frosting - I used a piping bag.
*I used peanut butter and the flavour wasn't noticeable, so you can use any nut/seed butter of choice.
**Can use xylitol or other sugar of choice - I like using muscovado sugar because of its nutritional value compared to other sugars.
*** I used 30g honey and 30g maple syrup.
****For vegan version, replace with 2 flax eggs: 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp water, placed in the fridge for 15 minutes.
^You can use plain yogurt instead (or vanilla yogurt, as someone suggested😉)
Visit my Pinterest!